We are looking for a Construction Project Accountant to join our team. The Construction Project Accountant will be assigned to multiple projects to coordinate overall project cost controls, as well as reporting functions. Responsible for analyzing anticipated, as well as current, expenditures to proactively focus management’s attention on known or potential areas of concern.
General Responsibilities include:
- Work with project managers to support budget development exercises.
- Implement the project financial accounting procedures and systems, financial accounting training and (kick-off) workshops for the project management team and / or contractor.
- Establish the project control system in QuickBooks to record and maintain all budget, contracting, and commitment and expenditure activity including comparison with original budgets.
- Track and monitor contingency usage and exposure logs.
- Prepare Anticipated Cost Reports, Cash Flow reports, and special budget analyses.
- Provide input and analysis on anticipated and any current situations and bring issues to the internal project team’s attention.
- Monitor and track project-related insurance coverages and certificates.
- Review proposals and contracts for proper attachments and backup, math errors and check established billing rates.
- Engage with the client for project accounting protocols, payments management and accounting reconciliations between ZOR and the clients.
- Monthly reconciliation of client’s project cost general ledger.
- Liaise with consultants & vendors to ensure timely set up, invoices and payment.
- Review all invoices and subcontractor progress payment forms for billing. Check for accuracy, job name, math errors, previous billings and past due balances. Review all statements to ensure that all invoices have been received and recorded.
- Engage with external project teams on invoicing and facilitate any billing resolutions.
- Engage and remain current with the internal Zubatkin project team on project status and cost activities.
- Issue reports to the Project Team, Management, and the Client, ensuring they are accurate and timely.
- Assist Project Manager with closeout procedures. Ensure that all costs have been received, processed and included in the final billing. Check that all applicable waivers have been received. Review all financial reports and provide documentation for final project financial closeout.
- Participate in client and project meetings as requested.
- Support Clients with additional outside lender or funding paperwork as needed.
- Partner with the internal Zubatkin project team and providing support as needed.
This position reports directly to the Senior Project Controls Analyst.
The ideal candidate should have a high level of competency with a minimum of 5 years demonstrated Project Accounting experience (preferably in real estate, construction, or non-for-profit environments).
- Careful and discerning
- Organized and proactive planner
- Clear communicator (oral and written)
- Good client and team relations skills
- Team player
Special skill sets requirements
- Excellent accounting and financial skills.
- Accuracy and detail-oriented are a must.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (primarily Excel. Microsoft Project a plus, but not required).
- Ability to manage many complex projects simultaneously and priority changes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and project teams.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Job Cost software.