Congregation Shearith Israel, originally founded as a Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue in New York City, traces its roots to 1654 as North America’s first Jewish congregation. The organization’s present-day operations are housed in a landmarked building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. To upgrade its aging facilities, the Congregation embarked on a major interior and exterior restoration of the Synagogue, including the original Sanctuary and Social Hall, limestone façade, and stained glass windows. The project also included the installation of new mechanical and life safety systems, as well as a Talmudic-approved sound reinforcement system.
Role + Responsibilities
Zubatkin was responsible for aligning the program with the project budget, establishing the contracting strategy, and overseeing the start-up of construction for the project. The firm’s In-House Technical Group assisted in the review of drawings and the bid and award process for trade contracts.