Located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the Brick Presbyterian Church is a lively congregation with a venerable history that dates back to 1767. The Brick Church School has also been providing elementary and early childhood education since 1940. In celebration of their 250th Anniversary, the organization embarked on a series of signature renewal projects to celebrate its legacy and position itself to best serve its community well into the future.
The capital project priorities addressed improvements to the main entrance and lobby, early childhood education spaces and elementary school classrooms, outdoor garden and playground, and various code-related upgrades throughout the campus. The scope of work included upgrades to accessibility, interior finishes, features such as the historic plaques and fountain at the garden, and associated mechanical, electrical and plumbing work. In addition, Brick Church performed the work and coordinated the approvals required for a change of the New and Old Parish Houses’ Certificates of Occupancy to educational use.
Role + Responsibilities
Brick Church retained Zubatkin to facilitate the planning and implementation of the 250th anniversary projects. The engagement began with a review of the scope, budget, and schedule parameters for the work being contemplated and the development of a strategy for how to best move forward. Zubatkin subsequently oversaw the design, approvals, and construction, as well as managed the financial reporting, project controls, and contracts and reported to the Buildings & Grounds committee on a monthly basis. Critical to the success of the projects was the development of a phasing strategy to allow construction to proceed while the institution maintained ongoing operations. The firm’s In-House Technical Group assisted in the review of drawings and the bid and award process for trade contracts.