Founded in 1887, Horace Mann School is a preK-12 independent school with a long history of supporting a diverse community of students. As an outcome of a Strategic Plan and Campus Master Planning process, Horace Mann embarked on the planning and implementation of several transformational projects at its 18-acre Middle and Upper Division campus, including:
- A New Science and Campus Center at Lutnick Hall that features chemistry, biology, and physics labs, informal collaboration spaces, classrooms, and offices. The new Campus Center provides dedicated space for student activities, lounge areas, a great room for meeting and collaboration, and quiet rooms for independent or group study.
- The Loria Family Aquatic Center, a new facility that houses an eight-lane competition pool that accommodates water polo, swimming, and youth instruction and includes a 150-person observation deck.
- Restoration and Renovation of Prettyman Hall to accommodate a broader range of athletic activities and support campus wellness initiatives. The renovation included the restoration of the exterior masonry, enhancements to the gymnasiums and locker rooms, and new mechanical systems. The project also includes the adaptive reuse of the former pool area into a new fitness center. The adjoining Friedman Hall creates an atrium to welcome visitors and improves campus accessibility.
- The Renovation of Pforzheimer Hall features improved middle school science facilities, faculty support spaces, and classrooms.
The projects faced a series of complex phasing and logistical challenges that required careful planning to allow the school to maintain day-to-day operations and safety during construction. Located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, the work also demanded the navigation of the twelve-month zoning authorization in a large-scale community facility development approvals process.
Role + Responsibilities
Horace Mann retained Zubatkin early on to develop a Project Implementation Plan that outlined an overall strategy and roadmap for the delivery of the various projects. The team managed the design and construction, as well as the financial controls, administration and reporting. The Zubatkin team also advised on the municipal approvals strategy, as well as the neighbor and community relations. The firm’s In-House Technical Group assisted in the review of drawings, reviewed the project logistics and phasing alternates, and oversaw the bid and award process for trade contracts.
Since the completion of the campus building expansion and renovations, Zubatkin has remained a strategic advisor to the School.
- Client Horace Mann School
- Location Bronx, NY
18 acres / 110,000 sf
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM)
- Hunter Roberts Construction Group
Green Roof captures storm water and reduces urban heat island