Founded in 1951 and located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, Saint David’s School offers a rigorous academic program for over 400 boys in pre-Kindergarten through Grade Eight.
As part of its long term planning efforts, Saint David’s purchased a residential building adjacent to its facilities on 89th Street. The school sought to repurpose the residential complex to provide enhanced facilities for its students. The program includes classrooms, art and music rooms, a dining hall, 290-seat performance space, and a full spectrum of athletic support spaces, complete with a regulation size Middle School gym. Located within a historic district, the project obtained approvals from both the Landmarks Preservation Commission and the Board of Standards and Appeals.
Role + Responsibilities
Crucial to the implementation of the program was conceiving the right plan for the project that would allow the school to maintain ongoing operations during construction. Saint David’s engaged Zubatkin to oversee the project implementation strategy, manage the design and construction, and provide the financial controls, administration and reporting. The Zubatkin team also advised on the municipal approvals strategy, as well as the neighbor and community relations. The firm’s In-House Technical Group reviewed the project logistics and phasing alternates, and oversaw the bid and award of trade contracts.